E-1 Visas

E-1 Treaty Traders enter under a Treaty of Commerce and Navigation between the United States and the foreign country of which the person (and the employer) is a national. For E visa purposes, a person’s nationality is that of a country whose passport he / she carries, regardless of place of birth, even though elsewhere in U.S. immigration law the concepts of nationality and citizenship are differentiated.

A company’s nationality is determined by the nationality of the majority of its owners. The E-1 treaty trader must be coming solely to carry on substantial trade principally between the United States and the foreign country of which he or she is a national. The initial admission is for two years, but an E-1 visa may be granted for up to five years. Extensions of stay are possible upon filing an updated application, which should report the current volume of annual trade between the treaty country and the U.S. enterprise. While there is no requirement for the trader to have an un-abandoned domicile abroad, the treaty trader must intend to return to a home abroad once the purpose of admission has been accomplished.

Have more questions about E-1 visas? Contact Karin Wolman today!

Have a Question?
Need Help? Let us know.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis.

What kind of immigration matter are you inquiring about? Please let us know.