Temporary Visas

F-1 Student Visas

An F-1 student visa may be issued to a foreign student enrolled in a full-time course of study in a degree-granting program at an authorized academic institution of secondary or higher education in the U.S. Students must prove that they do not intend to immigrate to the U.S. and have strong ties to their home country. No petition is required, but the school must issue a Form I-20 to the foreign student, and then the student must register for inclusion in the SEVIS database, in order to be issued the visa.

SEVIS is used to monitor maintenance of visa status by foreign students and scholars. Although F-1 students must show sufficient funds to support themselves throughout the full course of study, if a student has demonstrated enough funding for the family to live on, dependent family members may accompany the principal in F-2 status.

F-1 students are admitted for “D/S” or “duration of status,” meaning a period of stay is authorized for as long as the student remains enrolled in an approved course of study. F-1 status may continue for up to a year after completion of a degree program if the school has authorized a period of “optional practical training” after graduation, and the student has obtained employment authorization. F-1 students have a grace period of 60 days to depart the U.S. after completion of an educational program or a period of authorized practical training.

Have more questions about F-1 student visas? Contact Karin Wolman today!