Temporary Visas

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement, nationals of Canada or Mexico are eligible for temporary admission to the U.S. to work in any of 64 designated occupations if they have the appropriate educational credentials required for that job. Admission in TN-1 status is for one year, renewable indefinitely in one year increments, but with an ongoing requirement of nonimmigrant intent. Nationals of Canada are visa-exempt and may apply directly at the border with a job offer letter from the U.S. employer and their original educational credentials; nationals of Mexico must first apply for a visa stamp at a U.S. Embassy, but visa stamps can be issued in increments of two years even though admission is only for one year at a time. Family dependent are eligible for TD status, and need not be nationals of Canada or Mexico, but are ineligible to work.